Sunday, March 15, 2009

More sowing

After getting my lettuce seeds in the ground yesterday, I felt emboldened to sow a few more veggies today - carrots, swiss chard, and arugula. I may be pushing things a bit, especially with the carrots, but from what I've read, I think this might work (I am trusting the University of Rhode Island Master Gardening planting calendar - we're not in RI, but we're close and in the same USDA Hardiness Zone). The arugula went into the other side of the lettuce cold frame and the carrots and swiss chard went into the cover-less cold frame, which makes it just a "frame" I guess (BTW the cover got blown off last summer during a particularly blustery storm). UPDATE: Nighttime temperatures in the teens got me worried so I rigged a temporary cover out of a clear plastic landscaping sheet and some logs/rocks to keep it from blowing away. I expect I'll need to replant when it gets warmer.

Arugula:


Swiss chard:


Carrot:

1 comment:

taekwondo belts said...

The earliest historical mention of spinach comes from Persia, somewhere between 226 to 640 AD. Thanks to the efforts of Arabian agriculture, which included a system of irrigation, spinach was established in the Arabian part of the Mediterranean as early as the 8th century AD. This was no small feat, as the plant does not generally fare that well in hot weather.<a href="http://http://www.egrowingbroccoli.com/</a>